Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Five things

Work has been a little more hectic than usual in the last week. I have had nights where I hop into bed just as the birds outside start chirping. It actually felt comforting as it reminded me of university days; where me hopping into bed around that time usually comes attached with a feeling of fulfilment after pulling an all nighter to finally go to bed with one less assignment on the shoulders.


Each weekend of the next month is filled with fun activities. We have one engagement party, one trip to the beach and hinterland, one trip up a mountain, one 100km ride (not me, thankfully), one band competition (again, not me), one down to the tunnel where I work. November/December for us has almost always classically been filled with lots. Hopefully we've timed it correctly this year such that our busiest time during the crazy-time-of-year is in November with a few breather weekends in December before we plunge head first into the holiday season where everyone else in this (inevitably car dependent) continent is also on holiday (read: road madness!)

This has been on my mind for quite some time now so here goes my list....

5 things that I have made an effort to change/am going to make an effort to change in the near future:
1) No more buying of water in disposable bottles (I'm not sure how I'd go when we do go overseas when water out of a tap is a no-no..cross that bridge when we come to it I guess)

2) No more buying of commercialised cosmetics/skincare/haircare/household cleaning. Have you read how much palm oil derivatives those $3 bottles of shampoo contains? Not to mention tons of chemicals and petroleum derivatives!! Ideally I would love to make my own but I see that as a not now but maybe 5-10 years down the track change. I've been using jojoba oil and rose hip oil (certified organic of course) as moisturiser and they work a charm!!

3) Home cooked meals. At the moment it is that way for during the work week. I think that's good enough for now?

4) 30 minutes of exercise. I have this fear of 'don't use it and lose it'. My grandmother is (unfortunately) a specimen. She has trouble walking and I can slowly see my parents going down that track. Coming from Singapore, any activity that involves perspiring is a no-no. "too hot" seems to be an acceptable excuse to lead to older aged immobility. I have been victim to that myself until 3 years ago after a total of 18km of bush walking left me with swollen knee caps and practically bed ridden for 2 weeks..not. fun. Can you imagine feeling like that every day for the rest of your days?? 

5) Learn to ride the bicycle (again). Falling over the handle bars has left me scarred. I think 4 years is enough recovery time.

I'll have another list of probably 5 other food related changes that I would like to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails