Monday, March 21, 2011

This Monday I'm Grateful For...

1) A very supportive boy.

We've been together through thick and thin, through 7 different (share) houses and 2011 also marks our 7th year together. I don't often feel this so strongly but recently, I was reminded that very fact. It's ever so easy to take for granted or not acknowledge as often, the importance of having that happy voice saying happy words when you come home, climb into bed, on the other end of the phone and in many many other instances. The crucial part is the regularity of it and I'm very grateful for that.

2) A cosy home.
Since making the big move to the land Down Under in 2003, I've lived in 11 different houses be it temporary or for any length of time. Right now I live in a 3 bedroom typical post-war home with Steve and Pat (our dear budgie boy). While everything about the house is not so ideal; western facing bedroom, no insulation whatsoever (in winter inside the house is colder than outside and in summer the house is hotter than it is outside!), poor cross-ventilation, paint peeling from the ceilings, back and front yard with drainage issues and floor boards that aren't completely level etc. I could go on and on about how this house is imperfect but the bottomline is it's a happy place to be in with just the right person.

3) (that) We make do.
Not always but most of the time. So what if we don't own many brand-new furniture? So what if we love camping instead of paying $600 a night to stay in a 6 star room? So what if there's a tear in the couch or a stain on the wall? What matters is that the piece of furniture/electrical appliance functions to our satisfaction. I have to admit I have made the transition from make-do kitchen appliance a few years ago; I went out and spent a whole month's salary on brand new very good quality pots, pans, knives and other kitchen essentials. Without what I have now, I doubt I'll be as happy or as effective in my kitchen endeavours! But I'm still very grateful that we have hand-me-down (still very good quality) furniture and the likes.

These 'I'm Grateful For...' posts are supposed to be for Saturdays and also they tend to have pretty pictures to show. I've recently just got my ancient (is 6 year old considered ancient these days?) laptop up and running again by paying all of $79 to get the RAM/memory quadrupled such that it goes as fast as a brand new computer again (something else I am grateful for!). But I've also emptied most of my hard drive of photos and files into my external hard drive so photos will have to wait.

Here's to a good start to a week! What are you grateful for?

2 comments:

  1. I'm grateful for having you as a friend :-) Will you be a little nite owl for much longer?? i have jumped on the band-wagon and started my own blog, on organising. come and be my first reader :-) blissfullyorganised.blogspot.com
    Xxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sandy!
    I'm grateful for having you as a friend too xx
    Sorry I have just only found this comment. I have been so lazy with this blog haven't I?
    Being a nite owl ends in 1.5 weeks time. Scary but exciting times ahead! Don't know how I'd go with working 12 hour days and having to wake up at 5 or 6am!
    Talk to you soon xx

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails