Job - I have come to tackle it and not allow it to rule and overcome my whole life and people around me. A Tibetan guy at work once offered this advice to a colleague "just focus on something else and the problem/nuisance will fade away". So. True.
Here's why:
I've changed my diet quite dramatically. Coming from Singapore with flavours from all over the world means I have eaten quite a lot of foods (think intestines, livers, hearts etc.) that many will never even think of trying. After my latest trip back to Singapore and our whirlwind visit to Bali, I came home feeling "contaminated" with a strong urge to get everything out of my system and start again. Don't get me wrong I ate like there was no tomorrow not being able to get enough of everything that I ate. I practically force fed myself on most days, happily. I wouldn't have changed anything if I went on that trip again. But I remember towards the last few days I was feeling like I haven't gone to the loo to do #2 for ages, my skin was in a mess, I didn't have a lot of motivation or energy. So I came home with a mind to eat vegetarian for a week. Thankfully, The Boy also thought it was a good idea. A week later, I felt it was right. Two weeks later, it still felt right.
| One day I went mad and made 7 vegetarian meals at one go. Vegetarian lasagne and green lentil vegetable soup. |
Now, it's 1.5 months later and I'm still feeling great : ) Mind you, I'm not a strict vegetarian either as the decision to become "vegetarian" was more based on what my body was telling me rather than for 100% ethical reasons. I will still eat meat if I went to someone's house for dinner and they have prepared a meat dish; I will still eat meat if I went to a restaurant and vegetarian options are negligable. With that, I can definitely see the environmental, ethical and especially the monetary benefits of not buying meat (at home). Other changes in my diet has included an almost cut-out of gluten. I don't eat much bread or pasta so it really hasn't been all that "big" a change. The lasagne you see above was kept in the freezer for when The Boy returned home from Denmark - polished it off within the week.
I have also officially quit the gym. I was paying but never going. I have also been going back to yoga and am loving it. I went to a yoga retreat a few weekends ago - boy was it worth the money! We had awesome vegetarian food, lovely lovely company, great classes - everything! Today I tried hot yoga and am not quite used to it. The yoga school (Australian School of Meditation and Yoga - who organised the retreat too) I go to take a very step-by-step approach to poses focusing on getting it right without injuring yourself; the hot yoga teacher was zooming from pose to pose so quick that only the very experienced could keep up and he was saying things like "doesn't matter if you can't get it right". I'm not sure if I like that but I definitely enjoy the heat and feeling like I've just ran a marathon at the end of the hour. I will try their other classes like pilates and wall yoga.
The computer is not cooperating so I will have to put off pictures and recipes till another time.
yes! i do enjoy eating meat where i can but definitely in normal life vego is the way to go - saves money and animals from factory farms.
ReplyDelete